Service Scholar Application
The Service Scholar program is designed to promote civic responsibility as an integral part of a liberal arts education at Florida State University and to recognize students with an outstanding record of service and leadership. Admission to the program is reserved for first-year students who have demonstrated excellence in service and leadership in planning and promoting community engagement among their peers. The program includes an annual $3,000 scholarship, which is automatically renewed each year, provided requirements are met.
The Service Scholar program is affiliated with the Office of Community-Rooted Engagement (CoRE) within the Center for Leadership & Social Change (The Center) at Florida State University. Service Scholars are actively engaged students within the CoRE office, The Center, and across campus. It is expected that Service Scholars develop as effective and civically-minded leaders, and demonstrate that development in all spaces.
- It is a four-year program (a maximum of eight semesters of scholarship funds are available).
- Service Scholars participate in 75 hours of community service each semester (45 hours for the first semester of one's first year).
- Service Scholars must maintain a 2.75 cumulative GPA.
- Service Scholars attend monthly meetings called Evenings to engage in thoughtful conversation around civic engagement topics.
- Service Scholars enroll in a service-focused course each semester to help connect out-of-class experiences to in-class learning and development.
- First-year students are assigned a peer mentor.
- The Service Scholar program is a chosen family — a supportive community of service-minded student leaders.
High school graduating seniors with a distinguished record of community engagement and a strong desire to continue to learn through service are encouraged to apply. Competitive candidates have engaged with communities beyond the normal requirements for high school graduation or Florida Bright Futures scholarships, both in quantity and depth of service. A commitment that exhibits initiative and leadership will be given greater consideration.
2022 Applicant Timeline
- Application Opens: 12am December 10, 2021
- Application Deadline: 5pm March 15, 2022 --- DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 5PM MARCH 22, 2022
- Contact information for recommenders is due with the application (5pm March 15, 2022) - EXTENDED TO 5PM MARCH 22, 2022
- Recommendation Deadline (for recommenders): 5pm March 29, 2022
- Semi-Finalists Announced: March 31, 2022
- Finalists Announced: April 21, 2022
- Program Admissions Decisions Made: May 9, 2022
- Program Acceptance Deadline: May 16, 2022
The application is completed via Survey Monkey Apply (smapply), an online application system. While applying, please make sure to check your junk or spam email inboxes for application system emails.
Applicants are encouraged to stay attentive to their email for changes in their application status.